Tuesday, December 02, 2008

And Now For Something Completely Different…

Yes, we are about to wrap up 2008 in the next few weeks. Where the hell did this year go? I mean, so much happened but it seems it’s always the last third of the year when the rollercoaster feels like it’s really moving. Suddenly, here we are speeding towards another fucking year with its own horrid set of obstacles and characters and fears and triumphs and failures… Christ, just thinking about it makes me nauseous

The biggest thing in 2008, of course, was the Election. Still, I was amazed by the number of simians I witnessed saying how much they hate politics during the entire process. Yes, responsibility is exhausting, kids. It’s horrible that we have to discern; think and form opinions, hopefully our own, and actually have to muster up the strength to do something about it: vote. But those are probably the same people who love rolling around in their own filth, cheating insurance agencies, and fucking their best-friend’s wives but constantly wonder why the world is so filled with hate and misunderstanding… Morons. But now that the gauntlet has been run and the best man has been left standing, we can all get back to living our lives and trying to walk the walk. God knows there’s a new sheriff in town and that will have to unfold all on its own…

The truth is: all this politics is like reality itself- an intrinsic element of life but ultimately boring. Ugh. Doctors report that even katydids dream and therefore have an escape from even their short-sighted life experience.

So let’s talk something different.

-Like how the Dallas Cowboys is the lamest excuse for a multi-billion dollar franchise…
-Or how Brad Pitt is probably hating himself for marrying that baby machine… Ugh. I don't care how hot she is, she's fucking insane... (It’s amazing what guilt will do for a woman… )
-Or how Britney Spears could have the Lady of Fatima appear and speak on her behalf and it still wouldn’t change her status as white trash
-Or how horrible the tragedy of the Hudson family murders were. And of course it was an ex-spouse. Does this make anyone think twice about getting married and to whom?
-Or how the sharp fall in gas prices has SOLIDIFIED my opinion that over the past 3.5 years the oil industry has been FUCKING US RAW under the Bush administration. And still there is no social outrage… (Opps, there I go with politics again…)

One good thing that happened to yours truly this year is I started traveling in earnest again. I so love exploring different cities and discovering the soul of a locale. I just treated myself to my first visit to Seattle, Washington a few weeks back. I love the fucking vibe of that city: bohemian executive at it’s best. And everyone seems to be pretty fucking cool. Downtown was an amalgam of historic landmarks and modern monoliths. Gazing out at the bay I transcended my own snarkiness and wanted nothing more than to become a part of the energy of that city.

Could I integrate myself into the ebb and flow of another city and create an identity there to rival that of what I have in Dallas? I could probably do a hell of a lot more damage here but we all know that the hometown prophet is anathema to his own people. It might not be such a hard sell in another city. Hell, if I had half the connections in New York or Seattle that I do in Dallas I’d be rich and famous by now. It’s amazing how little people want to help you when they’ve known you all your life. For me it’s the complete opposite; if someone has a history of being creative and dependable I would go out of my way to help them in a second. But again, all men are not created equal….

This last year has seen many things come to fruition in my life, or at least to seed. My rebirth of Casanova Shrugged has attracted the attentions of a few people who share the vision and wish to represent me as a writing talent. It’s both comforting and frustrating, kind of like never being able to get a gorgeous woman in high school but now that I’m in my 40’s they’re everywhere and I’m like “Where the fuck were you back then?” But, like that same scenario, better late than never, eh? This I add to a schedule somewhere behind the feature film script I’m 60% through with (I want a first-draft of completed by Christmas. Ugh.) and a novel I have promised my current lover to pick back up and attempt the long process of completion in her name. And a possible spec script in 2009 for a sit-com I’m partnering with a friend in Florida to write... Yeah, lots of pots on the stove. But isn’t that the way it should be?

Let’s see, what else…

We just had Thanksgiving. Thank the Lord mine was relatively quick and painless. However, I find it funny that so many people make such a deal of something that we should be doing every day- being thankful for the people and things that enrich and populate our lives. Personally, I find it blatantly insulting to my intelligence to watch so many people glorify their own bastard sense of humanity by making asses of themselves in a ‘religiously formalistic’ seizure of good will acted out for all the world to see. As if it makes up for all the months of in-action they show all year long… Attention Fucksticks: a lack of planning on your part doesn’t not constitute an emergency on my part. (For those not versed in metaphoric banter that means: you’re a fucking hypocrite- no body cares. Shut the fuck up.)

Coming up next is the greatest national slur of a religious holiday- Christmas. I will have a little Yuletide jewel for you all in a few weeks, but for the most part I will be going dark for the remainder of the year. But even though I will be in hibernation please feel free to contact me anytime with your comments or questions if you have any. I sincerely appreciate all your responses thus far and promise to continue to bring you the essence of Casanova Shrugged for many moons to come. So until our next go-round take care of yourselves, take care of your shit, and take care of your hearts. Because if you don’t, no one else will…


♠ JC



No comments: